Fire safety tips for the holidays

Dec 20, 2010

Fire safety tips for the holidays are easy to follow and will result in a happy and secure holiday season.

The Washington State Fire Marshal's Office released a report of fire safety tips to follow in hopes of experiencing a safe and joyful holiday season.

The report cites numerous household items that can spark a fire. State fire marshal Charles Duffy says, "The use of heating devices such as portable space heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves should be done with care," he commented. "Cooking activities, holiday lights, candles and other decorations also create fire danger."

Crucial general heating safety tips include keeping heaters at least three feet away from anything flammable, plugging power chords only into outlets with sufficient capacity and having the chimney inspected and cleaned each year, according to the report.

As for cooking safety, the report says keep any flammable items away from the stovetop and stay in the kitchen when cooking. Additionally, make sure the wiring of holiday lights is in good condition, and do not overload electrical outlets or leave holiday lights on unattended, says the report.

The National Fire Protection Association estimates in 2009 there were 377,000 fires that took place in residential structures, killing 2,590 people. Any fire not properly handled can lead to disastrous consequences, which is why acquiring life insurance is important.

< Back

Follow Efinancial

Free Life Insurance Quotes

Zip Code



Height/Weight (lbs.)



Gender