Silicone in lungs to blame for cosmetic surgery death

Apr 26, 2011

A woman, who reportedly underwent cosmetic surgery in a Philadelphia hotel room, died shortly afterwards.

Police officers, who are investigating the death of a British woman following buttocks enhancement surgery in a Philadelphia hotel, believe she suffered from her lungs being clogged with silicone, according to Reuters.

The 20-year-old woman had flown from London and gone to a Hampton Inn specifically for the illegal surgery, the news source said. This was reportedly the second time she had made such a trip with a friend to get the injections done.

Approximately three hours following the surgery, the woman was rushed to a local hospital where she died shortly after, according to the source.

"What we believe happened is that the injector nicked a vein and put the substance into the bloodstream. It goes through your vascular system and lands in the lung and since it's a gel, it will pile up like a rock," police lieutenant John Walker told Reuters.

Police are now searching for the local who performed the injections and have stated that, if the procedure is determined to be the official cause of death, that person may be charged in the young woman's murder, Reuters reported.

Even cases of self-enhancement can potentially end in death. Anyone considering elective surgery may benefit from obtaining life insurance, to protect their families should something go wrong under the knife.  

< Back

Follow Efinancial

Free Life Insurance Quotes

Zip Code

Height/Weight (lbs.)